Report an error or give feedback here.
Find out about NABE leadership.
Visit our press room.
E.A. “Wally” Richter Leadership Award
This award is given to an individual who is a member of the NABE Communications Section “For outstanding achievement in the field of communications, for extraordinary service to colleagues in the National Association of Bar Executives, and for distinguished leadership of the Communications Section.”
One annual award is made if a suitable candidate has been identified and nominated by a member of NABE or NABE’s Communications Section, and selected by a vote of the Awards Committee and the Section’s Executive Council.
Nominations may be submitted by any member of NABE.
- 2013 Francine Andia Walker, The Florida Bar
- 2012 Kelley Jones King, State Bar of Texas
- 2011 Mark Mathewson, Illinois State Bar Association
- 2010 Duane Stanley, Hennepin County Bar Association
- 2009 Carol A. Manning, Oklahoma Bar Association
- 2008 Cynthia Kuhn, DC Bar
- 2007 Dan Cirucci, Philadelphia Bar Association (retired)
- 2006 Susan Andres, Alabama State Bar
- 2005 Chris Blake, Connecticut Bar Association
- 2004 Christine Cendagorta, Washoe County Bar Association
- 2003 Gary Tuohey, The Missouri Bar
- 2002 Joyce Hastings, State Bar of Wisconsin
- 2001 Ginger Banks, State Bar of Texas
- 2000 Barbara Kittrell, Berks County Bar Association (PA)
- 1999 Anne Charles, State Bar of California (posthumously)
- 1998 Elizabeth Derrico, New York State Bar Association and American Bar Association
- 1997 Janet S. Eveleth, The Maryland State Bar Association
- 1996 Mary Elizabeth Stritmatter, Washington State Bar
- 1995 Patricia Gannon, State Bar of Arizona
- 1994 Dennis P. Whalen, Ohio State Bar Association
- 1993 Bradley Carr, New York State Bar Association
- 1992 Martha Snow, Oklahoma Bar Association
- 1991 Gary Hunt, Tennessee Bar Association
- 1990 Marcia Poell Holston, Kansas Bar Association
- 1989 R. Wayne Wilson, Washington State Bar Association
- 1988 Philip O. Spelman, State Bar of Michigan
- 1987 Sharon R. Stephan, Nebraska State Bar Association
- 1986 Robert A. Young, American College of Trial Lawyers
- 1985 Elizabeth C. Price, Delaware County Bar Association
- 1984 David N. Anderson, Illinois State Bar Association
- 1983 E.A. "Wally" Richter, The Missouri Bar
Back to top
All members of the NABE Communications Section are eligible for nomination, with the exception of the current and immediate past chairs of the Section, and meet the following criteria:
- Active membership in the NABE Communications Section for at least four years in one or more of these capacities: council member, officer, program planner, speaker, project director, and/or behind-the-scenes active member
- The development of a recognized program of outstanding bar communications, publications and/or public relations, either working through the Section or an individual bar association
- Demonstrated leadership, creativity, competence and commitment to the professional growth of professional bar communicators
- The committee will also consider active participation in some aspect of professional communications and public relations activity. Examples are teaching a course, pursuing an accreditation program, working actively in PRSA, IABC, WICI, or some other national, statewide or local communications group
Back to top
Nomination Form and Steps
Please check back for information on the 2014 nominations.
For information about the current E.A. Wally Richter Award, email Kelley Jones King.
Back to top